During the evening of August 31, an amber alert in Quebec was issued alleging that a 3-year-old was abducted by 36-year-old David Côté in Sainte-Paule. On September 4, the amber alert was cancelled. The following day, Quebec police let the public know that the child has been located and brought back to his mother.
In a recent press release shared with MTL Blog, la Sûreté du Québec confirmed that "the 3 year old child was in the residence and was not injured. The young boy is in the care of his mother."
#OpérationEnCours | Vers midi, l'homme de 36 ans a été maîtrisé par les policiers. Nous pouvons confirmer que l'enf… https://t.co/2ZS3sekjda
The child and his father were found barricaded in a residence at around 4 p.m. on September 4, which led police officers to set up a security perimeter around the premises and begin negotiations. According to la Sûreté du Québec's Sgt.Claude Doiron, "the negotiations lasted all night."
Côté was arrested on the scene on September 5 around noon.
At this time, la Sûreté du Québec cannot say who owned the residence in which Côté and his son were found.
More information about the case are expected to be made public in the coming days.
In July 2020, all eyes were on one of Quebec's longest-running Amber Alerts, which ended when police found the bodies of the two young girls, aged 6 and 11. Police said the girls had been murdered by their father, Martin Carpentier, who they concluded died by suicide.
✨ Ce soir dès 21h sur @noovo_ca, on reçoit la mère de Norah et Romy Carpentier, Amélie Lemieux, @melaniejoly nous p… https://t.co/hnkw5UgGlX
— La semaine des 4 Julie (@La semaine des 4 Julie)
"I was told on July 11 that Norah had been found, but that they were trying to resuscitate her. It takes a doctor to declare [death]. They found Norah first and then about 20 or 30 minutes later they told me about Romy," Lemieux recounted.
"The time it took them to get the children out of the woods was very, very long because the place was not very accessible by four wheels. [...] The time it took them to transfer them to the hospital, it was almost three hours. They didn't tell me about the state of my children, all they said was, 'We're trying to resuscitate them,' so you're in anguish."
Lemieux explained how it took nearly 18 hours for the Amber Alert to be triggered after authorities discovered the children were missing.
According to her, this delay could have cost her daughters their lives.
"For 18 hours, what happened? I'm left with these traumas," she said.
While she doesn't hold the authorities directly responsible, Lemieux did admit to feeling a sense of "injustice" about how everything was handled.
Lemieux described her ex-spouse as an "introverted man" who never showed any signs of violence toward the family. She said she is still at a loss for what caused her ex-spouse to murder the two girls.
"There was a psychological state that we didn't see," she said.
"I was there that day, I spoke with him, I was in the house [...]. He had dinner with my parents and then he just said, 'Well, I'll go and have an ice cream with the girls.' After that, it's a black hole that we don't understand."
Lemieux revealed that despite the tragedy, she is currently in the process of doing fertility treatments and is planning to have another child through a surrogate.
If you or anyone you know is struggling with thoughts of harming themselves, please reach out to a trusted peer, parent or health care professional. You can also contact a helpline which is available 24 hours a day to talk. Or click here, for additional support resources. If you need immediate assistance please call 9-1-1 or go to your nearest hospital. Support is available.
At around 6 p.m. on Saturday, the Sûreté du Québec (SQ) tweeted that it had deployed police officers on Chemin de la Coulée-Carrier in Sainte-Paule. Police said this was "linked to the events that led to the triggering of the Amber alert on August 31 in the same sector."
Minutes later, a new tweet stated that the pair had been found and the amber alert was over.
The SQ previously alleged that the boy had been abducted in Sainte-Paule by his father, 36-year-old David Côté.
"For the moment, we will not communicate further so as not to interfere with the current operation. We ask citizens to stay away from the area," the SQ tweeted.
The Sûreté du Québec (SQ) has released new updates on its search for Jake Côté, the subject of a recent amber alert issued in Quebec and New Brunswick. The child's father, David Côté, 36, is suspected of abducting the 3-year-old boy.
"The discovery of the ATV used by David Côté and the ongoing investigation lead us to believe that the suspect could be looking for equipment to ensure his survival and facilitate his travels," the SQ said in a statement sent to MTL Blog on Thursday evening.
"The investigation shows that the individual has a thorough knowledge of the forest environment, that he has the ability to quickly organize himself for survival in the forest."
#AMBERAlert | We ask the population of the area to immediately notify the SQ by calling 911 if they notice any sign… https://t.co/8dnFCReH96
It's possible the suspect moved on foot to chalets or outbuildings, like garages, sheds or barns, "in order to ensure his survival and that of his child," said the SQ's statement.
The SQ asks the public to notify them by calling 911 if they see any traces of breaks and enters or signs of missing or "displaced objects," such as tools or food, that Côté could be using to stay alive.
They also ask the public to contact them if they see anyone matching the physical description of David or Jake Côté or their clothing.
Since the SQ believes the suspect could be armed and that he could "act impulsively," it does not want the public's help searching and asks people not to venture into an area where they may be at risk.
The SQ plans to continue its ground and air search for the child and his father overnight.