On February 3, authorities released Mamadi III Fara Camara from police custody after he was accused of attacking an SPVM officer.\nCharges were abruptly stayed on Wednesday, according to a spokesperson for the Directeur des poursuites criminelles et pénales (DPCP), who cited new information.\nIn a statement later in the day, Montreal Mayor Valérie Plante declared that Camara is "innocent." The SPVM has since made clear that he has been exonerated, according to multiple reports.\nHere's what has happened and what officials are saying now.\nEditor's Choice: Here's How Much You Need To Make To Afford A Home In Montreal\n\nCamara was wrongly accused of attacking an SPVM officer\nAccording to a February 5 statement from the Directeur des poursuites criminelles et pénales (DPCP), Officer Sanjay Vig was attacked "while he was issuing a statement of offence for a breach of the road safety code."\nCamara was later arrested based on information from officer Vig as well as what the DPCP refers to as "circumstantial evidence."\n"Before authorizing the laying of a charge, the prosecutor must be convinced that there is a reasonable prospect of conviction in light of the file submitted to them by the police," the DPCP explained.\n"In principle," the statement continues, "the prosecutor must have a complete record when authorizing the laying of a charge. However, it is not exceptional [...] for the prosecutor to lay charges even when the file is not complete."\nConséquemment, nous avons annoncé à la Cour que nous arrêtons les procédures à son endroit selon les dispositions de l’article 579 du Code criminel. Compte tenu du fait que l’enquête suit son cours, nous ne commenterons pas davantage ce dossier pour le moment.— Me Audrey Roy-Cloutier (@AudreyDPCP) February 3, 2021\n\n"New evidence" was submitted on February 3, which led the DPCP to "[conclude] that it [was] no longer possible to support the charges" against Camara.\nHe was finally released later that day after six days in detention.\n\n\nWhat does Camara's lawyer have to say?\n"With all of this circumstantial evidence, there were not enough elements to continue to pursue [this case]," Cédric Materne, Camara's lawyer, told MTL Blog.\nCamara was released with no conditions.\n"He was really relieved about the decision that was made by the Crown prosecutor's office," Materne said. \nThe lawyer said that Camara was "shocked and scared" during his time in detention.\n"We here at the firm are really happy, as well, but I think there are a lot of questions that need to be asked about what has happened in the file."\n\n\nWhat does the SPVM have to say?\nIn a statement published Thursday, SPVM Chief Sylvain Caron said the ongoing investigation into the attempted murder of an officer is "exceptionally complex."\nThe SPVM said its "investigators deployed all of the usual investigative methods and strategies in their search for truth and justice as part of their public safety mission."\n"At this time," the statement continued, "the combination of all the evidence allows us to consider the presence of an additional person at the scene of the event on the night of the crime."\nOn Friday, following public outcry, SPVM Chief Sylvain Caron publicly apologized to Camara, confirming he had been exonerated, according to reports.\n\n\nThere are calls for an investigation into what happened\nMultiple political leaders, including Montreal Mayor Valérie Plante, have called for an investigation into the incident.\n"What we want is for there to be an investigation — an investigation that is neutral and that takes place quickly," Plante said Thursday.\n"We can't wait."\nOn Friday, the mayor said she welcomes the SPVM's apology and called on authorities to "redouble" efforts to "shed light on what happened."\nPrime Minister Justin Trudeau also chimed in on Friday. He called the arrest of Camara, which took place in his riding of Papineau, "troubling."\nLes circonstances ayant conduit à la mise en accusation de M. Mamadi Fara Camara doivent être examinées. Nous travaillons avec @MTL_Ville sur la formule la plus optimale tout en respectant l’enquête du @SPVM, qui est toujours en cours.— Geneviève Guilbault (@GGuilbaultCAQ) February 4, 2021\n\nDeputy Premier and Minister for Public Security Geneviève Guilbault said Thursday the government is working with the City of Montreal to reach an "optimal formula" to "examine" what happened "while respecting the SPVM's investigation, which is still ongoing."\n\nPlante says it's a matter of public trust\n"It's necessary to shed light [on the incident] quickly so as to not tarnish the work that is done every day but also the relationship of trust that is essential in a big city like Montreal [...] between the police service and citizens," the mayor said on Thursday.\n View this post on Instagram A post shared by Valérie Plante (@val_plante)\nShe said she believes it's important to avoid putting "everyone [in the police force] in the same basket," but added, "we can't deny that what happened with Mr. Camara but also other incidents of potential social and racial profiling lead us to ask questions as citizens."\nShe called on the SPVM and DPCP to commit to transparency.