Sign up for our newsletter and get a curated list of the top trending stories and exclusive rewards every day.

Trending Topics

Get the MTL Blog app

Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play

4 Bars In The Greater Montreal Area Have Been Linked To New Outbreaks Of COVID-19

113 of the 667 new cases counted since June 28 have visited bars.
4 Bars In The Greater Montreal Area Have Been Linked To New Outbreaks Of COVID-19

While Quebecers might have thought they were completely out of the first wave of the COVID-19 pandemic, the last few weeks have proven otherwise. As people flocked to bars in the Greater Montreal area, some have become outbreak sites. Public Health said it has been able to identify four bars linked to possible outbreaks.

This was made possible thanks to the effort to test people who had frequented Montreal bars since July 1. At some testing sites, a massive turnout resulted in hours-long waits.

Editor's Choice: 14 Places To Explore Right Here In Quebec When You Desperately Need A Change Of Scenery

On the Island of Montreal, outbreaks have occurred at Le Minéral and Le Renard, both located in the Village, as well as Nacho Libre, located in Rosemont.

The fourth bar is the Mile Public House, located in Quartier Dix30 in Brossard, which has already made the headlines for attracting large crowds at the beginning of July.

Deputy Premier Geneviève Guilbault explained that "out of last week's caseload, there were 667 cases reported" and that, of this total, 113 claimed to have visited bars.

Dr. Richard Massé of Public Health clarified, however, that though "people say they go to bars [...] that doesn't mean that this is where people acquired COVID-19."

He added that these are events that are "small, but the number of infected people can be quite large."

Of the 113 infected, 65 have visited one of the four bars named by Dr. Massé and eight others are still under investigation.

On July 10, the bar La Voûte, located in Old Montreal, reported that a COVID-19 infected patron had visited its establishment.

It should be noted that all of the bars mentioned above have indicated via their respective Facebook pages that they have closed for a few days to allow their staff to be tested and the establishments to be disinfected.

Although the construction holiday has just begun, the situation remains stable in Quebec, officials say.

The government decided last week to keep bars open despite some outbreaks.

Still, officials have said they are "concerned" about private gatherings of more than 10 people — in defiance of public health rules — in recent weeks.

This article was originally published in French on Narcity Québec.

More from MTL Blog

Comments 💬

Our comment section is a place to promote self-expression, freedom of speech and positivity. We encourage discussion and debate, but our pages must remain a safe space where everyone feels comfortable and the environment is respectful.

In order to make this possible, we monitor comments to keep spam, hate speech, violence, and vulgarity off our pages. Comments are moderated according to our Community Guidelines.

Please note that Narcity Media does not endorse the opinions expressed in the comment section of an article. Narcity Media has the right to remove comments, ban or suspend any user without notice, or close a story’s comment section at any time.

First and last names will appear with each comment and the use of pseudonyms is prohibited. By commenting, you acknowledge that Narcity Media has the right to use & distribute your content across our properties.

Loading...