A 24-year-old man was arrested following stabbing attacks in Quebec City on Halloween night. The suspect allegedly committed two murders and injured five other people.
At a press conference Sunday morning, Quebec City police Chief Robert Pigeon explained that police received a call around 10:30 p.m. Saturday concerning the attacks around the Château Frontenac.
He said police responded and began looking for a man in medieval costume "armed with a sword."
A night of horror.
Robert Pigeon, Quebec City Police Chief
Around midnight., police implored citizens to stay inside while officers searched for the suspect.
Pigeon said he was located and apprehended at around 1 a.m.
The police chief said there was no indication so far in the investigation that the suspect's motivations were anything but "personal."
On Twitter, the Service de police de la Ville de Québec (SPVQ) asked possible witnesses to contact 418-641-AGIR.
"All of Quebec is in mourning this morning," Geneviève Guilbault, minister for public security, said at the press conference Sunday.
Premier François Legault also offered his condolences to the family of victims on social media.
"Words fail me to describe such a tragedy," he said.
This article was originally published in French on Narcity Québec.