A March Will Honour Thomas Trudel, The 16-Year-Old Shooting Victim, This Weekend

The march is happening on Saturday, November 20.

Staff Writer
A March Will Honour Thomas Trudel, The 16-Year-Old Shooting Victim, This Weekend

On Sunday, November 14, a 16-year-old boy, Thomas Trudel, died after being shot in Montreal's Saint-Michel neighbourhood. Now, a march and sit-in titled "Non à la violence et aux armes," translated to English as "No to violence and weapons," is being held on Saturday, November 20, in his honour and in the honour of all the victims of violence in Montreal.

MTL Blog spoke with Forum Jeunesse de Saint-Michel, the group organizing the march, about the importance of the event. The group responded saying they've seen "a series of shootings" near their premises recently.

The group explained that when violent acts like Sunday's shooting occur, "the neighbourhood is affected, classmates and schoolmates are impacted. Parents, young people and social workers become angry and question themselves. The teens begin to talk about revenge and about arming themselves."

"We couldn't just stand by and watch, we have to send a message to the authorities, to the parents, to the youth and to the workers. We have to do something together. We have to reassure the community," they continued.

Forum Jeunesse de Saint-Michel believes "we have left our children in front of screens too much, without any instructions, without warning them about the traps of the networks and the false and misappropriated contents."

"Our young people are only attracted by money and power. They all want to succeed quickly regardless of the means. There is a moral fragility that has been instilled that portrays the use of weapons as a banal thing."

The group hopes this march creates "a connection between parents, schools, communities and youth."

"We need a home and a space to intervene and accompany our youth through these difficult teenage years," they concluded.

Montreal Mayor Valérie Plante wrote a message to the public about Trudel's death, offering her deepest condolences and saying "Thomas was 16 years old when he was unjustly taken from us earlier this week."

Plante promised that the Montreal police are working hard to find the person who killed Trudel.

The march is taking place near where the shooting occurred last Sunday, at Parc François-Perrault.

March In Honour Of Thomas Trudel

When: Saturday, November 20 starting at 12 p.m.

Where: Parc François-Perrault

Facebook page

This article’s cover image was used for illustrative purposes only.

A Stabbing In Montreal On Sunday Night Sent A 16-Year-Old To The Hospital

The incident took place in Montreal's Plateau-Mont-Royal borough.

On Sunday evening, the SPVM received a 911 call around 11 p.m. regarding a stabbing in Montreal.

Upon arrival on the scene, Montreal police officers found the injured 16-year-old at the intersection of rue Gilford and rue Messier in Montreal's Plateau-Mont-Royal borough. "He was conscious and injured to the upper body by a sharp object," said SPVM spokesperson Caroline Chèvrefils.

Keep Reading Show less

3 Shootings In Montreal-Nord Took Place This Weekend

Two of the shootings happened in the exact same place on different days.

Over the weekend, three shootings took place in Montreal-Nord in just over 24 hours, two of which occurred in the exact same spot on separate days.

According to Montreal police, "The first event took place around 6 p.m. [on Friday]. A call was made to 911 for gunshots at the corner of rue Pascal and boulevard Rolland, in the sector of Montreal-Nord."

Keep Reading Show less

A Homeless Montreal Woman Died In The Cold Near Berri-UQAM

This is the second death of an unhoused Montrealer in the past 10 days.

An unhoused Montreal woman died near Berri-UQAM metro station early on Thursday morning, marking the second death of a homeless Montrealer in the last 10 days.

Urgences-santé spokesperson Sébastien Coulombe said 911 received a phone call at 1:20 a.m regarding a woman, who he said was in her 60s, requiring medical attention on the corner of boulevard de Maisonneuve and rue Saint-Denis.

Keep Reading Show less

Tensions have been running high in Quebec as the province contends with the latest COVID-19 wave. And at an SAQ on Thursday, it apparently came to blows.

"At 6:00 p.m., there was a 9-1-1 call made for a conflict between a customer and an employee in a store location on Pie-IX Boulevard," said Caroline Chevrefils, a spokesperson representing the Montreal police.

Keep Reading Show less