Rémy Bélanger de Beauport’s life changed forever on October 31, 2020.
In a 45-minute Facebook video posted Wednesday, the musician described how he was taking a walk outside Place d'Armes in a historic district of Quebec City when he noticed a man wearing a cape.
This article contains graphic content that might not be suitable for some readers.
He assumed it was an individual celebrating Halloween. It was at that moment he noticed the man was holding a long sword. Before Bélanger de Beauport could react, the man brought the sword down on his head.
I want to let you know that I appreciate your support so much.
Rémy Bélanger de Beauport
“I saw stars but I didn’t lose consciousness,” he said. “I lost my balance and fell on the floor [...] I didn’t panic but I didn’t understand what was happening. He continued hitting me."
"I figured my best chance was to scream for help.”
Now recovering in hospital after surviving the assault, the 37-year-old said he has forgiven his alleged assailant, Carl Girouard, who is accused of committing a string of attacks that left two people dead and five others wounded.
By the time Bélanger de Beauport was in an ambulance on the way to hospital, “I had already forgiven him,” he said, adding his assailant was surely suffering from mental health issues.
He also said he’d be willing to meet with him at some point in the future to give the individual a chance to explain himself.
“My satisfaction would be knowing that this man is getting the help he’s needed for a long time,” he said. “Justice that would truly satisfy me, would be a transformative justice.”
In the video, Bélanger de Beauport spoke candidly about the serious injuries he sustained to his head, throat, body and hands.
The professional musician described rescuing his own severed index finger from the ground and how it has since been reattached by a specialist at Sacré-Coeur hospital in Montreal.
Bélanger de Beauport said he is concerned with the injuries to his hands but was already envisioning his return to the stage.
“Whatever the state of my body or hands, I’ll remain a musician and we’ll see what rehab has at the end of the line,” he said.
He also thanked the public for an outpouring of love and support.
A fundraiser has been started to help Bélanger de Beauport recover.