The prime minister called out a "lack of judgment."
This article contains graphic content that might not be suitable for some readers.
"As a lifelong Habs fan, I am deeply disappointed by the decision," the prime minister said.
Logan Mailloux répond en direct aux questions des médias. Logan Mailloux is live taking questions from reporters. https://t.co/3TTBB5TkqO— Canadiens Montréal (@Canadiens Montréal) 1627137170.0
On July 23, the Canadiens drafted Mailloux in the first round despite the player's request not to be drafted by any team. Mailloux has admitted to distributing a pornographic photo without consent and was charged for the act in Sweden.
According to a report, Mailloux secretly photographed an 18-year-old woman during a sexual encounter. He reportedly shared the photo on a team group chat on Snapchat.
Mailloux himself had renounced himself from the draft because he felt like he "didn't demonstrate strong enough maturity or character to earn that privilege."
The Canadiens are facing intense criticism for the decision to draft him.
"I think it was a lack of judgement by the Canadiens organization and I think they have a lot of explaining to do to Montrealers and to fans across the country," Trudeau said.
If you require resources or assistance surrounding sexual assault in Quebec, the CAVAC helpline is available 24/7. Those who may need support can call 1-866-532-2822. Other crisis lines and 24/7 options can be found at The Lifeline Canada.
- Justin Trudeau In Montreal: This Strange Video Of The Prime ... ›
- Kraken Have More Quebec Players Than The Montreal Canadiens ... ›
- Montreal Canadiens Fans Alarmed Over Photo Of Andrei ... ›
- Montreal Canadiens Draft Controversial Logan Mailloux Despite ... ›
- Molson Apologizes For Montreal Canadiens Drafting Mailloux - MTL Blog ›
- The Montreal Canadiens Just Signed 3 Quebec-Born Players - MTL Blog ›
- Most Quebecers Would Vote For Justin Trudeau's Liberals, Poll Says - MTL Blog ›