Sign up for our newsletter and get a curated list of the top trending stories and exclusive rewards every day.

Trending Topics

Get the MTL Blog app

Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play

Everything You Need To Know About Quebec's New 4th Wave COVID-19 Measures

"The Delta variant is hyper-contagious and there is a real risk," said Premier Legault.

Staff Writer
Quebec Announced 4th Wave COVID-19 Measures

On Tuesday, Premier François Legault announced that Quebec would add new measures to mitigate the potential effects of the fourth wave of COVID-19 in the province.

"The fourth wave is here. The Delta variant is hyper-contagious and there is a real risk, both in terms of hospitalizations and deaths. So, once again, I call on you to get vaccinated," Legault said at a press conference.

Mandatory vaccinations for health care workers

Legault announced that Quebec's health care workers will need to be fully vaccinated in order to continue working.

"Public Health [...] recommends making the vaccination mandatory for health workers who are in contact with patients," said Legault on Tuesday. "We'll follow this recommendation."

According to Legault, 90% of the province's health care workers are vaccinated but the remaining 10% are posing a real risk to the health network.

Teachers and other public servants will not fall under this mandate, however.

Health care workers would have until September 1 to get their first dose and until October 1 to get their second dose before they are barred from working, Legault said.

He said he hopes to hold consultations with the public and with opposition parties next week in order to discuss and debate the idea of compulsory vaccination.

Mandatory masks in CEGEPs and universities

The government will follow public health recommendations and make masks mandatory for all students and staff in CEGEPs and universities.

Legault backtracked on the previous plan to allow students to forgo masks in CEGEP and university classrooms due to increasing COVID-19 cases.

"The number of contacts will increase with the return to school in two weeks, so we have to do a vaccination blitz in the next two weeks," Legault said.

"The risk of getting COVID far exceeds the risk of getting the vaccine [...] for your health, for the health of your close ones and to avoid a new wave of hospitalizations."

Health Canada has a robust website with all the latest information on COVID-19 vaccines and can answer any questions you may have.

More from MTL Blog

Comments 💬

Our comment section is a place to promote self-expression, freedom of speech and positivity. We encourage discussion and debate, but our pages must remain a safe space where everyone feels comfortable and the environment is respectful.

In order to make this possible, we monitor comments to keep spam, hate speech, violence, and vulgarity off our pages. Comments are moderated according to our Community Guidelines.

Please note that Narcity Media does not endorse the opinions expressed in the comment section of an article. Narcity Media has the right to remove comments, ban or suspend any user without notice, or close a story’s comment section at any time.

First and last names will appear with each comment and the use of pseudonyms is prohibited. By commenting, you acknowledge that Narcity Media has the right to use & distribute your content across our properties.

Loading...