Sign up for our newsletter and get a curated list of the top trending stories and exclusive rewards every day.

Trending Topics

Get the MTL Blog app

Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play

COVID-19 Vaccines Will Be Mandatory For Quebec Health Care Workers

But not for teachers and public servants.

Associate Editor
COVID-19 Vaccines Mandatory For Quebec Healthcare Workers

With the fourth wave of COVID-19 upon us, Quebec Premier François Legault said "even if it's summer, the situation is worrying and we have to take measures." One of those measures is requiring health care workers to be vaccinated.

"Public health also recommends making the vaccination mandatory for health workers who are in contact with patients. We'll follow this recommendation," Legault said in a press conference on August 17.

Legault said 90% of the province's health care workers are already vaccinated, but "the remaining 10% are at real risk."

"According to public health, a nurse, a caregiver, can, despite the equipment, transmit the virus to a patient who is vulnerable," he said.

As for teachers and other public servants, Legault said the government does not intend "for the moment" to make COVID-19 vaccinations mandatory.

Quebec reported 323 new COVID-19 cases on August 16.

The Institut Nationale De Santé Publique Du Québec expects the province's cases and hospitalizations to increase in the coming weeks, Legault said.

More from MTL Blog

Comments 💬

Our comment section is a place to promote self-expression, freedom of speech and positivity. We encourage discussion and debate, but our pages must remain a safe space where everyone feels comfortable and the environment is respectful.

In order to make this possible, we monitor comments to keep spam, hate speech, violence, and vulgarity off our pages. Comments are moderated according to our Community Guidelines.

Please note that Narcity Media does not endorse the opinions expressed in the comment section of an article. Narcity Media has the right to remove comments, ban or suspend any user without notice, or close a story’s comment section at any time.

First and last names will appear with each comment and the use of pseudonyms is prohibited. By commenting, you acknowledge that Narcity Media has the right to use & distribute your content across our properties.

Loading...