A tragic discovery was made on Sunday, August 22. Indeed, divers from the Sûreté du Québec located a body in the Natashquan River on Quebec's Côte-Nord while searches had been underway for several days. According to information revealed by the Sûreté du Québec to Narcity, it could be the 22-year-old Montrealer who recently went missing.
When asked about this matter, Stéphane Tremblay, spokesperson for the SQ said on Saturday that "everything indicates that it is him but the identity has not been made public yet. [...] The search had been underway since August 20 when a call was placed around 5:30 p.m.," he said.
Tout un travail d'équipe de la communauté de Nutashkuan et de Natashquan qui se sont mobilisées pour retrouver un j… https://t.co/BN2gBJfxjD
Since Friday, dozens of boats, several all-terrain vehicles and two helicopters have been mobilized to conduct the search. It was finally the SQ divers who found the body at noon.
The victim would have drowned while trying to recover a canoe that had drifted offshore and was not wearing a life jacket.
"The community of Nutashkuan and Natashquan worked together to find a young man who disappeared on the Natashquan River. Thank you to those who participated in the search. My thoughts are with the family," the Minister responsible for Aboriginal Affairs, Ian Lafrenière, said on Twitter.
In an investigation that began last March in connection with arms traffickers active in Montreal, a team of Quebec police, which was composed of officers from the Sûreté du Québec and the SPVM, conducted searches that resulted in the seizure of firearms, illicit drugs and thousands of dollars in cash.
On September 15, 11 firearms searches were conducted, five in residences and six in vehicles in the Montreal, Terrebonne, Mirabel and Drummondville areas.
These searches led to the seizure of :
Six firearms, including four handguns
High capacity magazines and ammunition
More than 30 grams of cocaine
A few pounds of hashish
Several tablets, which will be analyzed
More than $3,000
Police also made six arrests during this operation, according to a press release.
The suspects are set to appear at the Montreal courthouse on Thursday in connection with the arms trafficking investigation.
On Thursday, September 9, three Montrealers were arrested by police officers from the Sûreté du Québec for being involved in a robbery that occurred around 3 p.m. that day. The incident took place at a store on boulevard Antonio-Barrette in Notre-Dame-des-Prairies.
"Armed individuals broke into the store and confined employees and customers. They stole items and then fled in a car. Fortunately, no one in the store was injured," Sûreté du Québec confirmed in a press release.
We're told that their vehicle was quickly located, but when the suspect attempted to flee from the police, "the driver reportedly lost control of the vehicle and collided with a school bus near the intersection of Highway 131 and Firestone Street."
Luckily, there were again no injuries.
The suspects are young males aged 17, 18 and 19 years old from Montreal. On Thursday, they were apprehended by police and brought to the police station for questioning.
They were set to appear in court in Joliette this past Friday on several charges. MTL Blog reached out to the Directeur des poursuites criminelles et pénales for information about the three suspects' court appearances and will update this article once a response is received.
This article's cover photo was used for illustrative purposes only.
At around 6 p.m. on Saturday, the Sûreté du Québec (SQ) tweeted that it had deployed police officers on Chemin de la Coulée-Carrier in Sainte-Paule. Police said this was "linked to the events that led to the triggering of the Amber alert on August 31 in the same sector."
Minutes later, a new tweet stated that the pair had been found and the amber alert was over.
The SQ previously alleged that the boy had been abducted in Sainte-Paule by his father, 36-year-old David Côté.
"For the moment, we will not communicate further so as not to interfere with the current operation. We ask citizens to stay away from the area," the SQ tweeted.
The Sûreté du Québec (SQ) has released new updates on its search for Jake Côté, the subject of a recent amber alert issued in Quebec and New Brunswick. The child's father, David Côté, 36, is suspected of abducting the 3-year-old boy.
"The discovery of the ATV used by David Côté and the ongoing investigation lead us to believe that the suspect could be looking for equipment to ensure his survival and facilitate his travels," the SQ said in a statement sent to MTL Blog on Thursday evening.
"The investigation shows that the individual has a thorough knowledge of the forest environment, that he has the ability to quickly organize himself for survival in the forest."
#AMBERAlert | We ask the population of the area to immediately notify the SQ by calling 911 if they notice any sign… https://t.co/8dnFCReH96
It's possible the suspect moved on foot to chalets or outbuildings, like garages, sheds or barns, "in order to ensure his survival and that of his child," said the SQ's statement.
The SQ asks the public to notify them by calling 911 if they see any traces of breaks and enters or signs of missing or "displaced objects," such as tools or food, that Côté could be using to stay alive.
They also ask the public to contact them if they see anyone matching the physical description of David or Jake Côté or their clothing.
Since the SQ believes the suspect could be armed and that he could "act impulsively," it does not want the public's help searching and asks people not to venture into an area where they may be at risk.
The SQ plans to continue its ground and air search for the child and his father overnight.