Sign up for our newsletter and get a curated list of the top trending stories and exclusive rewards every day.

Trending Topics

Get the MTL Blog app

Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play

Health Canada Warns Public Of Risks With COVID-19 Rapid Antigen Test Solutions

COVID-19 rapid antigen test solutions could possibly cause harm if misused, Health Canada said.

Associate Editor
Hands holding a covid-19 rapid antigen test and a tube with liquid.

Hands holding a covid-19 rapid antigen test and a tube with liquid.

Health Canada has issued a public advisory regarding the use of COVID-19 rapid antigen tests. The advisory warns about the potential risks of accidental ingestion or skin exposure to antigen test solutions.

Health Canada issued the advisory following an increase in reports to poison control centres, leading them to advise Canadians about the potential risks regarding misuse or accidental consumption or spillage of COVID-19 rapid antigen test solutions.

While Health Canada has determined the COVID-19 testing kits to be both safe, effective, and beneficial for self-testing, they said the testing kits can lead to the potential exposure to hazardous substances when not used as intended.

"Many test kits include liquid solutions with chemical preservatives, such as sodium azide and Proclin that may be poisonous if swallowed or absorbed through the skin, particularly in children and pets," Health Canada said.

The government department indicated that while accidental ingestion of or skin exposure to small quantities of the liquid solutions is not expected to cause serious effects the way larger doses would, it may still cause effects in small children and pets.

Health Canada is currently aware of approximately 50 calls made to poison control centres in Canada related to accidental exposure to the COVID-19 rapid antigen test solutions, and are advising Canadians on a "precautionary basis to help mitigate the risks associated with misuse, accidental ingestion or skin exposure," they said.

Health Canada says to keep the solutions out of reach of children and pets, to not swallow the solutions, and avoid eye and skin contact. Canadians should thoroughly wash their hands after use, and if any spillage occurs, rinse well with water.

This article’s cover image was used for illustrative purposes only.

More from MTL Blog

Comments 💬

Our comment section is a place to promote self-expression, freedom of speech and positivity. We encourage discussion and debate, but our pages must remain a safe space where everyone feels comfortable and the environment is respectful.

In order to make this possible, we monitor comments to keep spam, hate speech, violence, and vulgarity off our pages. Comments are moderated according to our Community Guidelines.

Please note that Narcity Media does not endorse the opinions expressed in the comment section of an article. Narcity Media has the right to remove comments, ban or suspend any user without notice, or close a story’s comment section at any time.

First and last names will appear with each comment and the use of pseudonyms is prohibited. By commenting, you acknowledge that Narcity Media has the right to use & distribute your content across our properties.

Loading...