There are conditions.
The changes take effect on February 28, when the province's work-from-home order also ends.
While masks are currently required inside at all times and outside if "contacts are inevitable," the CNESST says workplaces will no longer have to require mask wearing if there is two-metre physical distancing or if there are physical barriers between people.
Masks will still be required in break rooms and in dining rooms when people aren't eating. However, people who are sitting and eating will not have to maintain physical distancing or sit between physical barriers.
Workers will have to keep wearing masks in transit, including in elevators and in vehicles. The government specified that masks will also still be required in areas with foot traffic.
All these new rules will only apply to workplaces outside of the care network.
The news comes one day after the Ministry of Health announced that elementary and high school students won't have to wear masks in classrooms as of March 7. Students will still have to wear face-coverings in common areas and on school buses.
The ministry said the move was possible because of the "favourable evolution of the epidemiological situation in Quebec."
"Today's announcement is excellent news for Quebec workplaces," CNESST President and CEO Manuelle Oudar said of the upcoming workplace rule changes.
"The CNESST is doing everything it can to support them in taking charge of occupational health and safety, particularly with regard to health measures."
This article's cover image was used for illustrative purposes only.
- The Quebec Vaccine Passport & Mask Mandate Will Last Until 'At ... ›
- Quebec Elementary & High Schools Are Going To Drop The ... ›
- A Plan To End Quebec Mask Rules Is In The Works, According To A Public Health Official - MTL Blog ›
- Does 'Living With The Virus' Mean Life Will Be 'Back To Normal'? Not According To Drouin - MTL Blog ›
- Health Canada Warns Public Of Risks With COVID-19 Rapid Antigen Test Solutions - MTL Blog ›
- A Plan To End Most Quebec Mask Rules Is Expected This Week - MTL Blog ›
- Quebec Mask Rules Will End In Most Public Places By Mid-April - MTL Blog ›
- Here's When & Where Quebec Will Let You Take Off Your Mask In The Office - MTL Blog ›
- The U.S. Dropped Mask Mandates On Planes & Other Transport — Here's What It Means For Canadians - MTL Blog ›
- Most U.S. Airlines No Longer Require Masks — Here's What It Means For Canadian Travellers - MTL Blog ›