"You would never think anything like that could happen to you — until it does," she said of the alleged incident at the metro station.
The two girls admit to having felt extremely uncomfortable with having an older man film them, and described the situation as "nerve-wracking."
But despite their discomfort, the SPVM told MTL Blog that since the metro is a public space, individuals are allowed to film each other as they please as long as they don't share the footage on social media.
"But if a person commits a crime by approaching someone or if a person feels unsafe, [they] can always call 911 and we'll send a police officer, obviously," officer Jean-Pierre Brabant explained over the phone.
The only exception is for children, who cannot be filmed without parental consent.
The reaction of the police representative only made the young women more uncomfortable.
"It made me feel worthless," Victoria said.
"We were scared, we felt uncomfortable, and they didn't do anything."
Ivy added that "knowing that they're in charge does not make you feel safe."
Michelle Flores, Victoria's mother, said the operator's response is evidence of a broken system. "100% it's unacceptable — they're minors."
Asked by MTL Blog if it condones this response to a minor about an incident on its network, the STM declined to comment.
The SPVM did not address the question.
Montreal police also did not respond to multiple inquiries about operators' training to deal with reports of harassment.
The STM did confirm, however, that it's in contact with the SPVM about this case.
On September 2, according to Victoria, Montreal police confirmed that "they are doing a full-on investigation for the Snowdon incident and looking into the phone call with the dispatcher."
Victoria hopes her story inspires "people to use their voice" to call out wrongdoing.
All three women said they hope the operator who answered their call that evening "gets fired."
This article's cover image is used for illustrative purposes only.
Gun violence in our city has been on the rise for the past few months now. Recently, Montreal police received 911 calls for two separate shootings in the city. The first happened during the afternoon around 3:50 p.m., where multiple civilians reported hearing gunshots fired at the corner of Émile-Journault and 9th Avenue in Saint-Michel.
SPVM spokesperson Caroline Chèvrefils told MTL Blog that when police arrived on the scene, they found a 23-year-old man who had been shot in the upper body. He was then transported to the hospital and we're told that his life is not in danger.
J'ÉTAIS LÀ, à moins de 50 mètres, #LIVE, en porte-à-porte avec @DenisCoderre quand c'est arrivé.
Il y a une garde… https://t.co/ZKT4XOeHQl
City council candidate Guillaume Lavoie from Ensemble Montréal tweeted that he and Denis Coderre were campaigning door-to-door right next to where the shooting happened. There is a daycare nearby. Some citizens told us that it was the 3rd time in a short time," Lavoie wrote.
The second shooting happened just after 12 a.m. on Thursday, September 16, only eight hours after the other shooting, in an apartment on rue Despréaux, which left a 29-year-old man wounded in the upper body. He was brought to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
"There was an altercation that happened in the apartment between several people and that's when gunshots were fired," Chèvrefils explained. "One or several suspects fled the scene before the arrival of the police."
The investigations for both incidents are ongoing and no arrests have been made in connection to the two shootings as of yet.
According to the SPVM, Litvack was a baseball coach in the Lake Saint-Louis area and an administrator for the Lake Saint Louis-area baseball organization between 2008 and 2021. The kids he coached ranged in age from 13 to 21. He also worked for the Dollard-des-Ormeaux minor hockey association for about 10 years until 2017.
"The suspect is accused of sexually assaulting one of his players to whom he gave private lessons. Investigators have reason to believe that the accused may have had other victims," the SPVM says.
Police describe him as a 41-year-old white male with brown short hair and hazel eyes. He is 1.78 metres tall and weighs 93 kilograms, or about 205 pounds. He's anglophone but also speaks French.
Anyone with information about Litvack can anonymously and confidentially contact Info-Crime Montréal.
If you require resources or assistance surrounding sexual assault in Quebec, the CAVAC helpline is available 24/7. Those who may need support can call 1-866-532-2822. Other crisis lines and 24/7 options can be found at The Lifeline Canada.
A few lucky Montreal-area residents will be able to test refilling their OPUS cards from their phones this fall and winter.
"During the experiment, which will run from September 14 to December 31, 2021, citizens will be invited to try out and comment on a function under development for reloading the OPUS card from a smartphone," the metro area's transit authority, the ARTM, said in a press release.
"Eventually," it continues, "this innovative and user-friendly feature will allow public transit users to consult the contents of their OPUS card, purchase tickets and add them to the card in a few moments from their smartphone."
The pre-pandemic monthly struggle of waiting in long lines to refill your OPUS card is all too familiar to Montreal transit riders.
We dare say there is NOTHING worse than forgetting to renew your monthly fare ahead of time and only realizing your mistake when you're late for work and come across the long line in your metro station.
STM, RTL, STL and exo riders can apply to participate in the experiment online. The lucky chosen ones will also have a chance to win one of five $100 prizes.
Montreal police (SPVM) officers were found not criminally responsible for the death of a man on April 26, 2020. The Director of Criminal and Penal Prosecutions (DPCP) made this determination following a report from the Bureau des enquêtes indépendantes (BEI).
The DPCP outlined the events leading up to the man's death in a press release.
In the late evening on April 25, 2020, police were called to assist with an Urgences-Santé call regarding an unconscious man. They found the man conscious when they arrived on the scene. The man signed a refusal of treatment form so police and paramedics left, according to the DPCP statement.
Hours later, at around 4:35 a.m. on April 26, police and paramedics got an emergency call for the same individual.
According to the statement, "they noted that the man was on the ground and made incomprehensible remarks. He was confused, aggressive and kicked into the void."
The police are said to have restrained the man and handcuffed him in order for the paramedics to take his vitals, eventually moving him to an ambulance "using the EMS blanket on the paramedics' chair."
The DPCP says the man stopped screaming outside the apartment building on the way to the ambulance. Paramedics then realized he was in cardiorespiratory arrest and began resuscitation attempts.
He was declared dead at the hospital.
The DCPC determined that the police "used the force necessary in the circumstances to restrain the man so that he was transported outside his building and then taken to the hospital. Officers used this force to assist ambulance attendants who were unable to provide required patient care."
"The analysis of the evidence does not reveal the commission of a criminal act by the SPVM police officers involved in this event," the DPCP explained.
This article's cover image is used for illustrative purposes only.