Quebec Has Officially Cancelled Christmas Gatherings
In a press conference on December 3, Premier François Legault announced that the government's previously allotted period for Quebec Christmas gatherings in red zones will be cancelled.
The announcement comes after the number of new daily COVID-19 cases in Quebec reached an all-time high on December 1: 1,514.
The news reverses the provincial government's November 19 announcement stating that it would allow two days of Christmas gatherings, with up to 10 people, in red zones on December 24, 25, 26 and 27.
Editor's Choice: No, Your Scarf Does NOT Replace A Mask & Other Winter Tips From Montreal Health Officials
I am announcing today that the two days of gatherings projected for Christmas will be cancelled.
Premier François Legault
"When we look at the situation, it’s not realistic to think we’ll be able to reduce the progression of the virus [...] between now and Christmas," Legault said.
The premier noted the significant differences in hospitalizations over the last two months.
On October 1, the premier said, Quebec reported 285 hospitalizations in the province. By November 1, hospitalizations in the province jumped to 499, and on December 3, the number of COVID-19 hospitalizations in Quebec reached 737.
Legault said he knew that Quebecers would be disappointed by the announcement.
"But it's not a good idea" to have gatherings, he said.
"The consequences are grave."