Legault Elaborated On The Quebec Tax For The Unvaccinated
The 600,000 unvaccinated people will receive a call from the government.
Premier François Legault recently announced that unvaccinated Quebecers are going to be charged a "significant" fee if they refuse to get at least their first dose in the next few weeks unless they have a medical reason not to.
The premier began by saying that the Government of Quebec will "reach out one by one" to the 600,000 adults who have not yet received a vaccine dose to inform them about the fee and ensure that the person is not in a vulnerable situation and has good reasons to refuse the vaccine.
"The objective, indeed, is to be able to have a list of people who refuse to be vaccinated, not for medical reasons, not because they don't speak French or because they don't have access to vaccines. And these people, if they really refuse, given that they bring an enormous burden on the health care system, I think it is normal that they pay a contribution," Legault stated
How much such will cost has not been announced yet, nor is it known exactly what form it will take. The "health contribution" was compared on the program to a "fine" received for running a red light.
Guy A. Lepage, one of the show's hosts, asked Mr. Legault how the government was going to get the list of non-vaccinated people, since patients' medical information is supposed to be protected by confidentiality.
Government lawyers are working on this and a bill is expected to be debated with the opposition parties in the National Assembly in early February, which is when we'll find out how much the fee would cost.
According to Legault, if important surgeries are postponed, it is "often because of the non-vaccinated."
"One person going into intensive care can cost up to $50,000. Multiply that [by] a few hundred non-vaccinated people continually adding up, it's a lot of money, but it's mostly a risk for all the people who have their surgeries postponed."
- Legault Responded To Unvaxxed Tax Criticism - MTL Blog ›
- Legault's Unvaxxed Tax Has No Shortage Of Critics - MTL Blog ›
- Quebec Is Going To Charge Unvaccinated Adults A 'Significant' Tax ... ›
- Health Canada Approved A Pfizer Pill To Treat COVID-19 - MTL Blog ›
- 1 In 4 Quebecers Are Okay With Throwing The Unvaccinated In Jail, A New Survey Suggests - MTL Blog ›
- Quebec Is Investigating Fake Vaccine Passports & Fraudsters Could Face Criminal Charges ›
- The Quebec Unvaxxed Tax Has Been Axed, According To A Report - MTL Blog ›