And the whole city breathed a collective sigh of relief.
According to several reports, Carey Price won't be picked in the Seattle Kraken expansion draft and will remain a Montreal Canadiens player.
The Habs goalie's future with the team was put into question last week after he waived his no-movement clause and wasn't placed on the Canadiens' protected list ahead of the expansion draft this Wednesday night.
There will be a seismic shift in the NHL landscape after the Kraken selects its team. The 32nd NHL franchise was approved by the league in 2018.
As per the NHL's expansion draft rules, the team gets to "select 30 players, one per team, excluding the Vegas Golden Knights, who are exempt after joining the NHL as an expansion team in 2017-18," to join its roster, NHL Senior Writer Dan Rosen explained.
Rosen and others flagged Price as one of the "top players left unprotected and available to Seattle," igniting fears among Canadiens fans that their goalie would be jumping ship.
Price and his teammates, of course, carried the Canadiens to an unexpectedly successful run in the Stanley Cup Playoffs before ultimately losing the coveted chalice to the Tampa Bay Lightning.
The expansion draft will air at 8 p.m. EST on Wednesday, July 21.
- A Look Inside Carey Price's Million Dollar House In Montreal (20 ... ›
- The Carey & Angela Price Foundation Just Donated $50,000 To The ... ›
- Habs Prank Carey Price During The First Round Celebration - MTL ... ›
- Montreal Canadiens Fans Alarmed Over Photo Of Andrei ... ›
- Carey Price's Reaction To The Montreal Canadiens' Win Went Viral ... ›
- Kraken Have More Quebec Players Than The Montreal Canadiens - MTL Blog ›