Despite the conclusions of the Quebec coroner's inquest into the death of Joyce Echaquan, Premier François Legault still denies the existence of systemic racism in the province.
The report recommended that Quebec acknowledge systemic racism. It also said racism and prejudice played a role in Echaquan's death.
"The only place where I don't agree is when we say that there's a 'system' because for me a 'system' is coming from upstairs, coming from the top people, and I don't see this in the health care network, for example," Legault said at a press conference on Tuesday, following the release of the coroner's report.
"What happened to Mrs. Echaquan is terrible [...] and few employees, not only one, didn't deliver the right services to her."
Legault also referenced the Petit Robert dictionary definition of "systemic" to back up his argument that systemic racism doesn't exist in Quebec.
He reiterated that people who believe in systemic racism in Quebec don't have the same definition that he does.
"We don't have a system [of racism], top to bottom, and it's a question of fact," he said.
He emphasized the need to "stop dividing Quebecers" with arguments about systemic racism.
"Even [the coroner who wrote the report] Mrs. Kahmel, she's saying that we have not to put all the emphasis only on words. We have to put emphasis on actions to change the situation and, on that, I fully agree," said Legault.
- Most Quebecers Are 'Fine' With The Term 'Systemic Racism' Even ... ›
- Premier Legault Explains Why He Doesn't Think Systemic Racism ... ›
- François Legault Says He Has A Different Definition Of Systemic ... ›
- Premier Legault Previewed His Big Speech & Called For Major Changes In Quebec - MTL Blog ›
- A New Quebec Anti-Racism Ad Was Called Out For Not Calling Anglophones Quebecers - MTL Blog ›
- The Director Of Quebec's Anti-Racism Ads Called Out The Gov't For 'Derailing' The Message - MTL Blog ›
- Montreal Has A 12-Point Plan To Combat Racism & Discrimination In The City In 2022 - MTL Blog ›
- A Woman Hurled Racist Remarks At 2 Men On An STM Bus In Montreal (VIDEO) - MTL Blog ›