If they can't be reassigned or refuse.
Quebec health and social service workers need to be vaccinated by October 15 or risk suspension without pay. Premier François Legault and Health Minister Christian Dubé made the announcement Tuesday, citing an increase in cases and the threat of the Delta variant.
The measure applies to workers in both the public and private sectors.
La vaccination obligatoire des travailleurs de la santé dans les milieux de soins, publics et privés, assure un env… https://t.co/uO9enJfIIL— Christian Dubé (@Christian Dubé) 1631051748.0
In a subsequent press release, the Ministry of Health said that the rule specifically targets workers with direct contact with patients, and other employees who have contact with those workers, including "physicians, midwives, professionals in private clinics, and volunteers."
The ministry further stated the measure will "primarily" apply in:
- "local community service centres;
- "hospital settings;"
- all public and private long-term care facilities;
- "child and youth protection centres;
- "rehabilitation centres;"
- other "private institutions under contract" with the health and social services network;
- "intermediate and family-type resources;
- "private residences for seniors;
- "family medicine groups;
- "ambulance service licensees and the Corporation d'Urgences-santé;
- "medical imaging laboratories offering public services;
- "social economy enterprises in at-home care;"
- and "certain community groups who provide services to vulnerable persons."
The government added that workers in these areas who do not present proof of vaccination or a contraindication (defined by the government of Canada as "a situation in which a drug, such as a vaccine, should not be used because the risk outweighs any potential therapeutic benefit") maybe be reassigned "if possible."
If they can't be reassigned or refuse to present vaccination proof, they "will not be able to return to work and will not receive any compensation," according to the ministry.
It added that as of August 25, 91% of health and social services workers had received a first dose, and 86% had received a second dose.
- Quebec Nurses Say Systemic Racism Exists In Health Care - MTL ... ›
- COVID-19 Vaccines Mandatory For Quebec Health Care Workers ... ›
- All Quebec Health & Social Service Workers Must Be Fully ... ›
- Quebec's Mandatory Vaccination Deadline For Health Workers Has Been Postponed - MTL Blog ›
- Quebec Plans To End The Health Emergency At The Beginning Of 2022 - MTL Blog ›