The Quebec Mask Mandate Will Likely Be Extended Thanks To The COVID-19 6th Wave
"We're considering whether it would be appropriate to push back that date."
You may have been looking forward to packing away all your masks until the next pandemic, but they might be useful for a little longer. While officials had planned on ending the Quebec mask mandate for most public spaces in mid-April, it's looking like that deadline will be postponed.
"We're considering whether it would be appropriate to push back that date," interim National Public Health Director Dr. Luc Boileau said on Radio-Canada on April 3. "It's certainly conceivable that recommendations will go in that direction."
He called the current wave of infections spurred by the BA.2 variant "serious." Quebec has seen an uptick in new cases and hospitalizations in recent days. The province recorded 3,182 new infections on March 31. But since officially registered PCR tests aren't available to the general public, that's not a complete picture.
Radio-Canada's Sébastien Bovet reports that the government is considering extending mask rules for two weeks, to the end of April.
On Thursday, Health Minister Christian Dubé said there were no plans to impose new restrictions or change the government's reopening plan in light of what the national public health institute is now calling the sixth wave.
The minister said BA.2 infections were concentrated in rural outlying regions like the Côte-Nord, Abitibi-Témiscamingue and Gaspésie, which were spared the worst of the Omicron wave and therefore have less immunity among their populations.
"There is no reason at the moment [...] to change the strategy we have, because people have to learn to live with the virus, to continue to protect themselves," Dubé said.
This article's cover image was used for illustrative purposes only.
- Quebec's 6th Wave Of COVID-19 Has Begun, Says Public Health ... ›
- Quebec's COVID-19 Rules Are Mostly Over — Here's How Experts ... ›
- Quebec Saw Up To 32,000 Daily COVID-19 Cases Last Week — A ... ›
- The Quebec Mask Mandate Will Be Extended Through The Month Of April - MTL Blog ›
- The Quebec Mask Mandate Will Be Extended Through The Whole Month Of April - MTL Blog ›
- Quebec's COVID-19 Hospitalizations Have Spiked & Yesterday's Rise Was This Wave's Biggest - MTL Blog ›
- The U.S. Dropped Mask Mandates On Planes & Other Transport — Here's What It Means For Canadians - MTL Blog ›
- Uber Canada Is Dropping Masks For Drivers & Passengers — Except In Quebec - MTL Blog ›
- Most U.S. Airlines No Longer Require Masks — Here's What It Means For Canadian Travellers - MTL Blog ›