The petition has more than 75,000 signatures.
Conservative Party of Quebec MNA Claire Samson has launched an official petition against COVID-19 vaccine passports, stating they "will divide Quebec society in two, depriving a part of its fundamental freedoms."
The petition says vaccine passports — which would require people to show proof of vaccination before attending certain events and activities — could amount to mandatory COVID-19 vaccines for all workers.
It urges the Quebec government to ban the use of vaccine passports like they've done down in Florida.
+ de 50,000 signataires contre le passeport vaccinal en 48 heures. Wow!!! Soyez + nombreux aujourd’hui à manifester… https://t.co/GuE1UuBmOs— Eric Duhaime (@Eric Duhaime) 1628948131.0
"We, the undersigned, demand that the Government of Quebec publicly reject, as of now, the idea of a mandatory vaccination passport and that it commit itself to do like the Governor of Florida, Ron DeSantis, has done, that is to say, prohibit the obligation to present a vaccination passport in order to attend certain events and practice certain activities," the petition states.
Samson, a former Coalition Avenir Québec member who switched sides in June, held a press conference about the petition alongside Conservative Party of Quebec leader Eric Duhaime on August 12. They explained that the party had already collected 133,000 signatures on a previous petition that did not meet the criteria of the National Assembly.
"We reviewed the wording [...] So we're going to ask these hundreds of thousands of people to re-sign their petition on the National Assembly website, and we're going to invite Quebecers who don't agree with the vaccine passport to come forward as well," Samson said.
The petition, which was posted to the National Assembly website on August 12, had garnered more than 75,000 signatures at the time this article was published.
- Quebec's Vaccine Passport Will Be Required For These Places ... ›
- Protester Interrupted Quebec Vaccine Passport Conference - MTL ... ›
- Video Shows Massive Montreal Vaccine Passport Protest - MTL Blog ›
- Most Quebecers Support The Vaccine Passport, Poll Says - MTL Blog ›
- Quebec's Vaccine Passport Officially Set For September - MTL Blog ›
- Some Quebecers Can Get Vax Passports Even If They Didn't Get 2 Doses Of Approved Vaccines - MTL Blog ›
- Quebec's Vaccine Passport Will Eventually Require 3 Doses To Be Valid - MTL Blog ›