The Quebec tennis star is set to play in the U.S. Open final on Saturday afternoon.
The world is watching as Quebec tennis star Leylah Fernandez has her moment. The 19-year-old is set to play at the U.S. Open final on Saturday afternoon — something that's undoubtedly required a lifetime of hard work and perseverance.
So what's motivated Fernandez to get this far?
Tennis Canada asked Fernandez what motivates her and her answers shed light on the source of her work ethic and character.
In one interview, Fernandez says, "Through the years, my dad and my mom [...] taught me to work hard and to fight for what you want. Nothing will come easy. Same thing with life. I've seen them going through hardship and I like to take that as motivation for a tennis match."
What motivates @leylahfernandez? The success of her compatriots, of course. Love this answer from the #USOpen fina… https://t.co/PnUouSmii1— Tennis Canada (@Tennis Canada) 1631375217.0
In another interview, Fernandez names fellow Canadian tennis players as sources of inspiration.
"Felix [Auger Aliassime], Denis [Shapovalov], Bianca [Andreescu], Milos [Raonic] — everybody doing great things on the tour. It's another great motivation. They're progressing, they're also winning, they're also attacking so watching them succeed [...] give[s] me motivation during practices and matches to be the best I can," she says.
Good luck, Leylah! Quebec is rooting for you.
- Quebec Tennis Superstar Leylah Fernandez Is Getting Tons Of ... ›
- Montrealer Leylah Fernandez Has Made It To The U.S. Open Final ... ›
- Quebec's Leylah Fernandez Lost The US Open & Still Got A Huge Standing Ovation (VIDEO) - MTL Blog ›
- Quebec Tennis Star Leylah Fernandez Had The Most Touching Message For New Yorkers On 9/11 - MTL Blog ›
- Quebec Tennis Stars Leylah & Félix Were At The MET Gala & Looked Absolutely Stunning - MTL Blog ›
- Here's How Much Money Leylah Fernandez & Félix Auger-Aliassime Won At The U.S. Open - MTL Blog ›