Jesus Price, that was a close one!
At the National Hockey League (NHL) expansion draft on July 21, the Seattle Kraken announced it would be picking up Cale Fleury, thereby keeping Price on the Habs.
"I think any time you see a name like Carey Price available you have to consider it," said the Kraken's General Manager Ron Francis. "Certainly we did that. We had a lot of discussions and, at the end of the day, we made the decision that we did to go in a different direction."
As the NHL's newest team, the Kraken had the opportunity to select a player from each existing NHL team, except the Vegas Golden Knights, who were exempt.
Price's spot as the Habs' goalie was put in jeopardy when he waived his no-movement clause and wasn't placed on the Canadiens' protected list ahead of the expansion draft. NHL.com senior writer Dan Rosen flagged Price as one of the "top players left unprotected and available to Seattle."
But Canadiens fans can rest easy tonight knowing that Montreal's beloved goalie is still ours for now. He has five seasons left on his contract.
- 6 Post-Win Habs Moments That Were Too Adorable For Words ... ›
- Carey Price Tried To Blame Himself For The Habs Losing (VIDEO ... ›
- Habs Fans Chased Down Carey Price's Car To Celebrate Game 3 ... ›
- University Students Can Attend Montreal Canadiens Games For Less than $50 This Season - MTL Blog ›
- The Montreal Canadiens Will Have First Pick In The 2022 NHL Draft - MTL Blog ›