Quebec Police Issued Thousands Of Tickets To Distracted Drivers Last Month

The drivers were using cell phones or other devices.
Quebec Police Issued Thousands Of Tickets To Distracted Drivers Last Month

Police forces across the province cracked down on distracted drivers in the last month, issuing thousands of tickets to Quebec drivers using electronic devices at the wheel.  

The province-wide campaign, called "L’opération nationale concertée (ONC) Distraction 2020," was a collaboration between provincial police forces and the Société de l’assurance automobile du Québec (SAAQ). The crackdown took place between September 19 and September 24.

A spokesperson from the Sûreté du Québec (SQ) told MTL Blog that police set-up over 3,000 checkpoints across the province.

Editor's Choice: Here Are The Rules On Travel In Quebec If You Live In A Red Zone

3,100 TICKETS ISSUED TO DISTRACTED DRIVERS ACROSS QUEBEC

Throughout the week of the operation, police gave out 3,100 tickets of varying infractions to distracted drivers, said the SQ spokesperson.

The SPVM told MTL Blog they could not confirm how many tickets were issued in the greater Montreal area.

The joint operation was accompanied by a media campaign warning distracted drivers of the dangers of using their phones at the wheel and the potential infractions that could be issued as a result.

[rebelmouse-image 26882973 photo_credit="Societ\u00e9 d'Assurance d'Automobile du Qu\u00e9bec" expand=1 original_size="1435x806"] Societé d'Assurance d'Automobile du Québec

A motorist can be fined $300 to $600 for a first offence of using an electronic device at the wheel. A repeat offence within a two-year period results in a guaranteed $600 fine.

A routine noise complaint in Pointe-Saint-Charles in the wee hours of Friday morning ended with Montreal police seizing two guns and arresting one person, Montreal police confirmed to MTL Blog.

A 911 call was placed at around 2:15 a.m. on December 10, alerting police officers to excessive noise coming from an apartment on rue Centre, near rue Charlevoix, said Service de police de la Ville de Montréal (SPVM) spokesperson Jean-Pierre Brabant.

Keep Reading Show less

A Mother Of 5 Was Found Dead In St-Donat, Quebec On Monday

The suspect is expected to appear in court Wednesday afternoon.

Just 100 kilometres north of Montreal, a 32-year-old woman was found dead in a home in St-Donat, Quebec on Monday, September 27.

According to Sgt. Stephane Tremblay, police received a 911 call at 2:45 p.m. that day after her body was discovered.

Keep Reading Show less

Quebec Amber Alert: Police Say The Suspect Could Be Looking For Forest Survival Equipment

The SQ released another update as it searches for 3-year-old Jake Côté.

The Sûreté du Québec (SQ) has released new updates on its search for Jake Côté, the subject of a recent amber alert issued in Quebec and New Brunswick. The child's father, David Côté, 36, is suspected of abducting the 3-year-old boy.

"The discovery of the ATV used by David Côté and the ongoing investigation lead us to believe that the suspect could be looking for equipment to ensure his survival and facilitate his travels," the SQ said in a statement sent to MTL Blog on Thursday evening.

Keep Reading Show less

According to a poll by the Angus Reid Institute, many Quebecers would vote for Justin Trudeau's Liberals ahead of any other political party in the province.

While there's a myriad of possible reasons as to why Trudeau is ahead in the province, his handling of the pandemic could be the biggest. Among the Quebecers polled, 46% believed that health care is the most pressing issue in the upcoming election and 53% said the current prime minister "has performed well on pandemic management."

Keep Reading Show less