Quebec's Daily COVID-19 Cases Climbed Past 5,000 As Record-Shattering Omicron Surge Grows
Be safe out there, folks.
Quebec has once again shattered its daily COVID-19 case count record.
On Tuesday, the province reported 5,043 cases, breaking the previous record — set the day before — of 4,571 by 472 cases. Eighteen more hospitalizations were recorded, with six more people in intensive care. There were eight deaths.
For some, the news may seem pretty bleak. But there is some cause for optimism despite the huge spike in daily cases.
Even though cases continue to rise, over 315,000 Quebecers booked their vaccination appointments on December 20 — also a record number.
Montreal recorded 1,656 new COVID-19 cases in the past 24 hours.
Eight deaths are the most reported since October 20, 2021, when nine were tallied, according to Quebec Health Ministry data. Before that, the last time eight or more deaths were reported was May 17, 2021 (when 11 deaths were noted).
This is also the most deaths reported in a single day by Quebec health authorities since the Omicron variant was declared a variant of concern by the World Health Organization.
Yesterday, Quebec announced that it was closing bars, taverns, casinos, cinemas, concert halls and gyms.
It also announced working from home would be mandatory again.
Professional and amateur sporting events will be held behind closed doors, without any fans in the stands, and restaurants will only be able to open between 5 a.m. and 10 p.m.
This article's cover image was used for illustrative purposes only.
- Some Quebec Pharmacy Websites Have Crashed As Free Rapid ... ›
- Free COVID-19 Rapid Tests Will Be Available In Quebec ... ›
- Omicron Makes Up 80% Of Quebec COVID-19 Cases After Just Three Weeks - MTL Blog ›
- Positive COVID-19 Results In Quebec Can Now Be Sent Via Email - MTL Blog ›
- Montreal Is Once Again In A State Of Emergency - MTL Blog ›
- Another Day, Another Quebec COVID-19 Record – 6,361 Cases Lift Total Past Half A Million - MTL Blog ›
- Here's How Omicron Symptoms Compare To Classic COVID-19 Symptoms, According To Studies - MTL Blog ›
- Quebec's Latest Omicron Projections Are Super Scary But There Is Some Hope - MTL Blog ›