Legault is holding another press conference at 6 p.m. tonight.
Yet another record has been broken for the daily COVID-19 cases in Quebec. On Wednesday, December 22, the Government of Quebec reported 6,361 new cases, a jump of 1,318 from yesterday's daily case count.
In Wednesday's data, 445 total hospitalizations were recorded — up 30 from the day prior — with 88 of those patients in intensive care.
On December 21, the province reported 5,043 cases, which broke the previous record of 4,571 — set the day before on December 20 — surpassing it by 472 cases.
With this new daily case count, the province is now past half a million total confirmed cases, with 501,698 cases reported in Quebec since the beginning of the pandemic.
In just a few weeks, Omicron has reportedly become the dominant COVID-19 virus variant in the province. According to a news release issued on December 21, the Institut national de santé publique du Québec (INSPQ) claimed that approximately 80% of the province's COVID-19 cases can be attributed to this new variant.
New measures to reduce the spread of the virus in the province were imposed on Monday, December 20, including a ban on dancing, karaoke and office parties.
All bars, taverns, casinos, cinemas, gyms, spas and concert halls in Quebec were ordered to close starting at 5 p.m. on Monday.
The government once again ordered people to work from home if their job permits.
There could be additional measures introduced Wednesday evening, as Premier François Legault hinted at more restrictions in a tweet about "difficult choices" on Tuesday, which we'll find out more about during his press conference tonight at 6 p.m.
This article's cover image was used for illustrative purposes only.
- Quebec's Daily COVID-19 Cases Climbed Past 5,000 As Record ... ›
- Omicron Makes Up 80% Of Quebec COVID-19 Cases After Just ... ›
- Here's How Omicron Symptoms Compare To Classic COVID-19 Symptoms, According To Studies - MTL Blog ›
- Legault Will Impose Stricter Gathering Rules On Quebec After Christmas – But No Curfew - MTL Blog ›
- Quebec Will Report Around 9,000 New COVID-19 Cases On Thursday, Crushing Today's Record - MTL Blog ›