Free Rapid COVID-19 Tests Are Coming To Almost 2,000 Quebec Pharmacies
A holiday gift from the government to you.
Our nostrils are tingling. The government confirmed Tuesday that Quebecers will be able to claim free rapid COVID-19 tests at one of more than 1,900 pharmacies across the province.
Daniel Paré, the government official responsible for pandemic management, made the announcement. He said the rollout of the tests would begin on Monday, December 20 and that they'll be widely available "in the coming weeks" if all goes according to plan.
Individuals will be able to claim five free tests in a period of 30 days so long as supplies last, Paré explained. In a press release, the Ministry of Health said the tests will be free until March 31.
In total, Quebec plans on getting 10 million rapid tests in December.
Quebec elementary and preschool students are also set to receive a bag of five rapid tests each.
The distribution of tests comes as the province braces for the possible impact of the Omicron variant.
"With the arrival of the Omicron variant and the current increase in cases, it is necessary to take all possible steps to prevent outbreaks during the holiday season," Health Minister Christian Dubé said in the press release.
"Among these measures, the distribution of rapid tests is an excellent means of control, which will give each citizen some autonomy in the management of the virus."
Also on Tuesday, Minister Dubé asked employers in the province to once again favour telework, starting immediately, to limit contacts and the potential spread of Omicron.
Quebec reported 1,747 new COVID-19 cases on December 14 — the 14th consecutive day where there were more than 1,000 new cases.
- Quebec Experts' Omicron Variant Advice: Be Cautious, But Chill Out ... ›
- The New Omicron Variant: We Answered 5 Questions On ... ›
- Canada Is Officially Advising Against Non-Essential Travel Outside The Country Right Now - MTL Blog ›
- Quebec Pharmacists Explained What You Should Know About Free Rapid COVID-19 Test Rollout - MTL Blog ›
- Quebec Police Won't Be Trolling For Holiday Gathering Rulebreakers, According To Dubé - MTL Blog ›
- Free COVID-19 Rapid Tests Will Be Available In Quebec Pharmacies Monday - MTL Blog ›
- Some Quebec Pharmacy Websites Have Crashed As Free Rapid COVID-19 Tests Become Available - MTL Blog ›
- Quebec's Clic Santé Website Broke As Over 83,000 Quebecers Made Appointments - MTL Blog ›
- Quebec's Clic Santé Website Broke & Demand For Appointments Is Predictably Astronomical - MTL Blog ›
- Jean Coutu's Website Showed An Hours-Long Wait Just To Reserve A Free Rapid COVID-19 Test - MTL Blog ›
- Quebec Rapid Test Results Can Now Be Self-Reported On A New Platform - MTL Blog ›