Quebecers might remember the run-up to Halloween 2020, when, at the cusp of the third wave of COVID-19 infections, public health officials warned the holiday wouldn't resemble years past.
Though at least one municipality did cancel trick-or-treating, Quebec ended up releasing a list of Halloween rules that allowed children to go trick-or-treating with members of their own household — not with friends — but explicitly banned parties.
The Ministry of Health suggested that a similar list of rules and recommendations will come in 2021, though it didn't say what it would include or when we'll see it.
But Quebecers can at least expect the pandemic to once again influence their Halloween plans.
Gun violence in our city has been on the rise for the past few months now. Recently, Montreal police received 911 calls for two separate shootings in the city. The first happened during the afternoon around 3:50 p.m., where multiple civilians reported hearing gunshots fired at the corner of Émile-Journault and 9th Avenue in Saint-Michel.
SPVM spokesperson Caroline Chèvrefils told MTL Blog that when police arrived on the scene, they found a 23-year-old man who had been shot in the upper body. He was then transported to the hospital and we're told that his life is not in danger.
J'ÉTAIS LÀ, à moins de 50 mètres, #LIVE, en porte-à-porte avec @DenisCoderre quand c'est arrivé.
Il y a une garde… https://t.co/ZKT4XOeHQl
City council candidate Guillaume Lavoie from Ensemble Montréal tweeted that he and Denis Coderre were campaigning door-to-door right next to where the shooting happened. There is a daycare nearby. Some citizens told us that it was the 3rd time in a short time," Lavoie wrote.
The second shooting happened just after 12 a.m. on Thursday, September 16, only eight hours after the other shooting, in an apartment on rue Despréaux,, which left a 29-year-old man wounded in the upper body. He was brought to the hospital and there is no fear for his life.
"There was an altercation that happened in the apartment between several people and that's when gunshots were fired," Chèvrefils explained. "One or several suspects fled the scene before the arrival of the police."
The investigations for both incidents are ongoing and no arrests have been made in connection to the two shootings as of yet.
Groupe CH, the parent company of the Montreal Canadiens, just unveiled its new action plan to bring awareness and education to the community and its employees about sexual cyberviolence.
Titled the "Respect and Consent Action Plan," the plan will tackle "the internal environment of Groupe CH as well as the external and community environment."
In a press release, Montreal Canadiens owner, president, and CEO Geoff Molson said, "we want to ensure that our actions will be part of a concerted approach that will bring about positive changes within our company and in the hockey community."
All employees and hockey operations staff will benefit from training "on respect and consent and sexual cyberviolence in line with our policy of equity, diversity, and inclusion and with the values of our organization," the release said.
The company will also hire women in "key positions" within the hockey operations department.
As for its community initiatives, the Montreal Canadiens will collaborate with aid organizations and the Quebec hockey community at large to develop a "prevention program aimed at young hockey players, as well as the interveners who support them in their practice of the sport."
Financial support will also be given to registered organizations that are committed to preventing and raising awareness about sexual cyberviolence. Groupe CH has also given financial support to an organization that supports victims of sexual violence.
The release of the Respect and Consent Action Plan follows uproar surrounding the Canadiens' draft pick of defenceman Logan Mailloux, who admitted to distributing a pornographic photo of an 18-year-old woman without consent.
At the time of the draft pick, the team said it was "committed to raising awareness among [its] players about the repercussions of their actions on the lives of others."
If you require resources or assistance surrounding sexual assault in Quebec, the CAVAC helpline is available 24/7. Those who may need support can call 1-866-532-2822. Other crisis lines and 24/7 options can be found at The Lifeline Canada.
In an investigation that began last March in connection with arms traffickers active in Montreal, a team of Quebec police, which was composed of officers from the Sûreté du Québec and the SPVM, conducted searches that resulted in the seizure of firearms, illicit drugs and thousands of dollars in cash.
On September 15, 11 firearms searches were conducted, five in residences and six in vehicles in the Montreal, Terrebonne, Mirabel and Drummondville areas.
These searches led to the seizure of :
Six firearms, including four handguns
High capacity magazines and ammunition
More than 30 grams of cocaine
A few pounds of hashish
Several tablets, which will be analyzed
More than $3,000
Police also made six arrests during this operation, according to a press release.
The suspects are set to appear at the Montreal courthouse on Thursday in connection with the arms trafficking investigation.