"I am [...] completely at odds with a position such as that."
The mayor said the city and its partner organizations are well-positioned to be "key players" in the propagation of French and its promotion as the language of work.
"I am [...] with the efforts that have been made by our administration to promote the French language in recent months, completely at odds with a position such as that of a current mayoral candidate."
Plante was invited to speak at the National Assembly hearing on Bill 96 on Tuesday evening and was asked by Minister Responsible for the French Language Simon Jolin-Barrette what she thought of a candidate's plan to make "the city of Montreal become bilingual and multicultural."
The candidate in question, Balarama Holness, would move to officially recognize Montreal as a bilingual city and promote multiculturalism.
In a statement of support for the principles in Bill 96,Plante said she hopes French becomes the "social glue" of the metropolis.
"We have to promote the French language by giving ourselves the means and tools to bring people together."
- Parts Of Bill 96 Could Affect Your Access To Justice, The Montreal ... ›
- Most Quebec Workers Want Bill 96 & To Make French The ... ›
- Bill 96 In Quebec: 9 French Language Reforms Proposed By The ... ›
- Coderre Wants To Cover Montreal's Décarie Expressway With A New Park - MTL Blog ›
- Montreal Would Give A 'Baby Box' To Every Family With A Newborn Under Mayor Plante's Plan - MTL Blog ›
- Coderre Snapped At Plante To 'Stop Laughing' During A Debate - MTL Blog ›
- 5 Times At The Montreal English Mayoral Debate When Candidates Got Feisty - MTL Blog ›
- Air Canada's CEO Is Getting Roasted For Saying He's Lived In MTL Without Speaking French - MTL Blog ›
- MTL Blog's Interview With Valérie Plante: In-Depth About The SPVM, Bikes, Regrets & More - MTL Blog ›
- Here's How Much Money Montreal Mayoral Candidates Made In 2020 - MTL Blog ›
- Valérie Plante's Major Promises For Montreal Now That She Won Re-Election - MTL Blog ›
- Mayor Valérie Plante Takes Charge Of Montreal Street Cleaning By Doing It Herself - MTL Blog ›
- A New Quebec Political Party Says It's Pro-Bilingualism & 'Unapologetically' Pro-Canada - MTL Blog ›