Restaurants will only be able to open for specific hours.
During a press conference on December 20, the Quebec government announced that the new measures they had announced last Thursday were no longer "sufficient enough" to help stop the rise of cases and hospitalizations due to COVID-19 in Quebec. So, additional measures are coming into effect as early as today.
Starting at 5 p.m. on Monday, December 20, the Quebec government is ordering a "complete closure" of bars, taverns, casinos, cinemas and concert halls.
Health Minister Christian Dubé went on to say that restaurants will now only be able to open between 5 a.m. and 10 p.m.*
Gyms are also closing. Spas will close everything but personal care services.
In addition, it will be mandatory to work from home.
This new list of health rules comes just days after the government announced an initial set of regulations that included 50% capacity limits for bars and many venues. Those rules came into force on Monday but will be trumped by the new rules taking effect at 5:00 p.m.*
The province also cancelled earlier plans to expand private gathering limits for the holidays.
Dubé called the situation in Quebec "critical" on Monday and once again urged Quebecers to get vaccinated.
With 4,571 infections confirmed on Monday, Quebec broke a record for the most new COVID-19 cases reported in a single day — and that record was just onen day old. The province broke a two-day-old record on Sunday with 3,846 cases, up from 3,768 reported on Friday.
*Editor's Note: An earlier version of this article misstated that restaurants will be able to open from 5:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. In fact, they will be able to open from 5:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. This article has been updated with the correct information.
This article's cover image was used for illustrative purposes only.
- Quebec Is Cancelling Expanded Holiday Gatherings & Limiting ... ›
- Experts Told Us How Omicron Could Affect Quebec — Here's The ... ›
- François Legault Said 'Difficult Choices' Will Be Made In Quebec & Announced On Wednesday - MTL Blog ›
- We Compared Quebec's Restrictions In 2021 To 2020 & It's Sort Of Déjà-Vu ›
- The CEO Of Guzzo Cinemas Threw Shade At Legault & Dubé On Twitter - MTL Blog ›
- Quebec's Latest Gathering Rules Are Now In Effect - MTL Blog ›
- Celebrating New Year's Eve In Quebec? Here Are The Rules To Keep In Mind - MTL Blog ›
- Private Gatherings In Quebec: Here's What Is And Isn't Allowed Right Now - MTL Blog ›
- A Candlelight Acoustic Taylor Swift Tribute Is Coming To Montreal - MTL Blog ›