The passport program begins on September 1.
On Tuesday, Health Minister Christian Dubé confirmed that Quebec's vaccine passport system will officially take effect on September 1.
If you're wondering how it will work, it will be a combination of two mobile phone apps and the QR code you can download as proof of vaccination. Paper proof of vaccination will work as another option.
Tell me about these apps
.@cdube_sante & @ericcaire ont annoncé, aujourd’hui, les modalités d’application du passeport vaccinal. Le passepo… https://t.co/6PFWb6AsLN— François Legault (@François Legault) 1629841474.0
One of the apps will be for citizens and the other app will be for businesses and service providers.
The app for average individuals is a wallet-style app where you can store your QR code so it's easily accessible. You can actually store multiple QR codes on this app. As an example, this is useful so that families can keep all their QR codes together.
The app for businesses and service providers is a QR code reader app they can use to scan patrons' QR codes.
After the reader app scans a customer's QR code, the customer's name pops up with a green checkmark or red warning symbol, depending on whether the person should be granted access to the establishment.
The reader app doesn't display any other information about the customer. Alexander Dahl, whose company partnered with the government to create these apps, told MTL Blog that none of the customer's data is stored on the reader app. All data is encoded in the QR code and the apps do not connect to the internet.
Where, when and how can I download the apps?
Dubé explained that both apps will be available to download on the Apple App Store starting at 8 a.m. on August 25.
The apps will be also available on the Google Play app store within a day or two, according to Dubé.
The app meant for merchants is called VaxiCode Vérif and the app meant for citizens is called VaxiCode.
How can I download my QR code?
If you got a dose of a COVID-19 vaccine, the government should have sent you an email with a link to download your proof of vaccination QR code.
Regardless, you can download your QR code at any time using the self-service portal on Quebec.ca.
- Here's What Quebec's App For Vaccine Passports Will Look Like ... ›
- Quebec Vaccine Passport: Tourists Stressed Due To Uncertainty ... ›
- I Tried Quebec's Vaccine Passport At An ÉconoFitness Pilot Project ... ›
- Quebec's Vaccine Passport Won't Be Required In These Places - MTL Blog ›
- Quebec QR Codes 'Secure' After Reported Hacking, Gov't Says - MTL Blog ›
- How The Quebec Vaccine Passport Works For Visitors - MTL Blog ›
- Quebec Vaccine Passport: Your Questions, Answered - MTL Blog ›
- COVID-19 In Quebec Had A Bigger Effect On Montrealers' Mental Health Than Other Quebecers - MTL Blog ›
- Quebec's Vaccine Passport Is Now Officially In Force - MTL Blog ›
- Quebec's Vaccine Passport Has A 'Grace Period' Where Penalties Won't Be Imposed - MTL Blog ›
- A Huge Protest In Montreal Took Place Against The Vaccine Passport This Weekend (VIDEOS) - MTL Blog ›
- Quebec's Vaccine Passport Grace Period Is Officially Over & Fines Can Now Go Up To $6,000 - MTL Blog ›
- Dubé Promised 'Good News' Today & Said Measure Changes Will Be For The Double-Vaccinated - MTL Blog ›
- You'll Soon Need To Be Fully Vaccinated To Travel By VIA Rail & Plane In Canada - MTL Blog ›
- Quebec Flu Shots Are Coming — Here's Who The Gov't Says Should Get One & How - MTL Blog ›
- There's A New Vaccine Passport For Travel Outside Of Quebec & Here's What You Need To Know - MTL Blog ›
- Canada's Vaccine Passport For Travel — Everything You Need To Know - MTL Blog ›
- Here's Why Your Quebec Vaccine Passport Is 'No Longer Up To Date' On The VaxiCode App - MTL Blog ›
- Quebec Experts’ Omicron Variant Advice: Be Cautious, But Chill Out - MTL Blog ›
- Quebec SAQs & SQDCs May Soon Require A Vaccine Passport, According To A Report - MTL Blog ›