Canada-US Border Rules — Here’s Everything To Know Before Taking A Trip To The States
Driving or flying to the US? Different rules apply! 🚘✈️
Canada's border measures officially changed as of April 1, 2022, allowing fully vaccinated travellers to enter the country without needing to provide a negative PCR test. While Canada has axed its testing requirement, what does that mean for travels to the United States?
While travel is back in action, it's important to note that the U.S. still has testing requirements in place in order to enter the country.
Flying Into The United States
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), all travellers entering the United States by air must present a negative COVID-19 test.
"If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get a COVID-19 viral test (regardless of vaccination status or citizenship) no more than one day before you travel by air into the United States," the CDC said.
Anyone travelling to the U.S. must then show proof of their negative result upon boarding their flight.
The CDC also states that those who have recently recovered from COVID-19 no more than 90 days before the flight's departure could instead travel with documentation of recovery.
This means you can use your positive COVID-19 test results and a letter from your licensed healthcare provider stating you are cleared to travel to enter the United States.
Entering The United States By Land
In October 2021, the CDC amended its Order titled, "Requirement for Proof of Negative COVID-19 Test or Recovery from COVID-19 for All Air Passengers Arriving in the United States."
Luckily, this means that the negative test requirement only applies to air travel.
The CDC stated that the Order does not apply to land border crossings or persons arriving by seaports.
So... do you know what that means? Montrealers can officially drive down to Plattsburgh or Burlington for that much-needed Target or Trader Joe's run without needing to provide a negative test to enter the United States or a PCR test to return to Canada.
This article's cover image was used for illustrative purposes only.
Before you get going, check out our Responsible Travel Guide so you can be informed, be safe, be smart, and most of all, be respectful on your trip.
- 9 Countries With Travel Warnings Issued By The Government Of ... ›
- Canada's Global Travel Advisory Will Soon Be Less Severe — And ... ›
- Canada's Border Measures Have Changed — Here's What You ... ›
- The US Has Extended The Canada-US Border Vaccination Requirement For Canadian Travellers - MTL Blog ›
- The Canada-US Border Vaccination Requirement For Canadian Travellers Has Been Extended - MTL Blog ›
- Canada-US Border Shopping — 5 Things That Are Much Cheaper In The United States - MTL Blog ›
- Air Transat Is Having A Summer Seat Sale & You Can Fly From Montreal To Amsterdam For $630 - MTL Blog ›
- 7 Countries With Travel Warnings Issued By The Government of Canada - MTL Blog ›
- U.S. Congresswoman Is Demanding Canada To End Required Use Of ArriveCAN - MTL Blog ›
- Nexus Allows You To Cross The Canada-U.S. Border Faster — Here’s How To Apply - MTL Blog ›